Sunday, February 27, 2005

Therefore I am...

This probably should have been my first post. My friends and family know why I chose the name Muddler as my nom de guerre. This then is to the lost soul who strays onto this page and doesn’t know me from Adam.

I enjoy fishing; especially fly fishing for trout. For that reason I thought it would be fun to choose the name of a trout fly pattern as my on-line identity. I considered several: Royal Coachman…too English, Pale Evening Dun…too…pale, Jock Scott…too Scottish, Black Ghost…too ethnic, Undertaker…too depressing, Green Butt…out of the question. Muddler? Ah, a possibility.

This fly imitates those little forage fish that stay close to the bottom of a stream. They’re a rather dull mottled brown for camouflage (the fly is tied using deer hair and turkey quill as its main components). All in all quite an ugly creation, but effective…the trout love them. If dressed with floatant, they can even be used as a passable hopper imitation.

As a verb, the word also means to befuddle.

I like it…therefore, I am Muddler.

No comments: