Wednesday, February 02, 2005

Family Loss

On Monday at 1:34 in the afternoon, Michigan time, my daughters' mother passed away. That may seem like an odd way to identify Linda Parker, but she and I were no longer married. In fact, she had been married to her husband Michael for nearly 30 years.

Allow me to share a bit of recent history. Kim, my oldest daughter was diagnosed with breast cancer late in the Winter of 2004. By Spring she had a Lumpectomy and soon after began chemo and finally radiation therapy. I can't describe how positive and upbeat she remained during this difficult period. She was supported by her family throughout this ordeal --particularly by her mother. It was during this time that Linda, too, discovered a lump on her breast, and sought treatment of her own. In early January, 2005, she and Michael visited the MD Anderson Hospital in Texas and was told that the cancer had metastasize and that she would likely die within 3 months...she lived less than a month. Kim is now a cancer survivor, and all who know her are truly thankful for that.

Andrea (my youngest daughter), Kim and Michael have been on the front line in this very personal battle, and I love them all for their strength and courage supporting one another during this most difficult time in their lives.

Kim will participate in the Mother's Day Y-Me race in Chicago on May 8, 2005. I would encourage everyone to visit this website and support the efforts of all of the teams: Y-Me.

No comments: