Friday, April 22, 2005

A Few Sheets Short

I used to think that people who spend tons of money on their pets were a few sheets short of a ream. I still believe that, but now I have joined their ranks. Dog and I went to the vet's today because her allergy medication had arrived from some specialty lab in Texas. The package indicated that she is allergic to: cats, cedar, cocklebur, dandelion, marsh elder, orchard grass, ragweed, sagebrush, sycamore and black walnut, to name a few. The allergies to pig, yeast, peanuts and mold were not included because they would require additional shots.

I was at the office to learn how to administer the shots that she will be taking for the the rest of either her life or mine. First, agitate the "serum" (stirred, not shaken; unlike 007 I never took that much care with a martini thank you very much). Next pierce the cap to the green container with the hypodermic needle and draw .1 cc of the fluid into the barrel. There is also a blue vial and a red one for later. Tap the barrel to release any bubbles that may have snuck in there. Next pierce the skin on the nape of the neck (the dog's that is) and draw back the plunger. Start the piercing again if you draw blood....remember this is sub-cutaneous, not intravenous. Finally inject the material into the patient, er...dog. Ok....my turn with a saline salution. First take the plastic protector off the needle .... oops, took the needle off the needle. I put it back on and the rest of the procedure went as is was supposed to.

Dog and I returned home to put the serum in the refrigerator and to make sure she didn't go into anaphylactic shock (always a possibility you know).

Later I went to the drug store to purchase a supply of syringes. The girl behind the counter kept looking for a spoon on a chain around my neck in which she expected I would cook the H when I returned to the car.

Just another day in paradise.

No comments: