Friday, April 22, 2005

All Hands On Deck

Even though there is the possibility of snow this weekend, spring has arrived. “How do you know?” you may ask. I know because I have begun building an addition to the deck on the back of the house. Something like this happens every spring (almost). I feel the need to get my winter-fat butt off the sofa and launch into an outdoor project. That in itself is a good thing. The bad things are: a) every time I get off the sofa it costs me more money than I can afford and b) my delicate and finely tuned body is not prepared for the harsh realities of physical labor.

Forget about the dollar cost of the project, the price I am paying in pain and suffering goes beyond the pale. Most of the muscles from my ears down hurt; and the ones above my ears don’t feel so good either.

Larry came over after work last evening to help me set the ledger board in place (I had already dug the holes to receive the 4x4 uprights). If it weren’t for his experience, it never would have been done. In any event, we worked until about 9:00 p.m. when the sun took pity on us and set. Today I intended to put in the third 4x4 and concrete all the uprights into place. Mercifully it’s rained all day so I could heal for another few hours.

I’d guess I’ll be at this for another 2 weeks….. if I survive all the fun.

You may not hear from me for a while; the hand that holds the hammer, refuses to hold the mouse.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Howard - don't stop writing! I have finished my 12 hours per day, six days per week assignments for the spring. I tried finding you on the internet and couldn't, then Toni mailed me the link. I printed out all the archives and read every one. I really enjoyed them. Look for my comments