Wednesday, October 19, 2005

Still Alive and Kickin'

Here it is; the middle of October. I can’t say the frost is on the pumpkin, but judging by the coolness of the evenings, it won’t be long. As beautiful as this time of year is, there is a melancholy beneath each colored leaf and gust from the north. Birthdays come and go, holidays bring smiles and friends, but nothing marks the passage of time like fall giving way to winter. A few of the summer flowers are still blooming in the garden; some zinnias, dahlias (they didn’t even bloom until late September this year (the drought I suppose)), impatiens, and even the geraniums. One morning we’ll awaken to find them too lying tangled and wilted.

Summer this year was easy; warm and dry with new things to try and old things to savor. In fact it was too easy. I didn’t even make the effort to keep up with the thoughts and events I try to share here. My apologies to anyone kind enough to occasionally look in to see if I’m still alive and kicking.

So, with summer’s passage and winter’s arrival, I will try to share some of summer’s “adventures”. Notice I said “try”, and not “promise”. I know myself far too well to get carried away with promises. In the meantime, thanks for dropping by, whether by chance or design.

1 comment:

Morgan said...

Hey Murph, glad to see you're still alive. Fall is hands down my favorite season, and I think maybe a reason is because of the underlying melancholy. There's something more thoughtful about cloudy days and that slightly cold wind that nips at your face and reminds your skin that you're alive.

I don't know what it is, but there's something about fall/winter that makes you think of old times and you know that you'll never have those back (I think the holidays have that sense too). And it's not necessarily a sad or depressing thing, just a slight melancholy or thoughtfulness. I don't know why, but I like that (as long as I don't let it get too out of hand).