Sunday, March 13, 2005

What, Me Worry?

I have never hesitated to buy things on the internet. Thus far I’ve been quite satisfied with the experiences. My last purchase, however, came close to souring me on shopping on the www. Oh, I know the potential for disaster is there, but I haven’t been bit in the butt hard enough yet to change my ways. But let me tell you about my last purchase; there may be lessons to be learned……..

I wanted a piece of software that would allow me to organize my paper documents into something that could be stored and managed on the computer. Adobe Capture 3 seemed like a possible solution, but quite expensive. Lo and behold I received an email from a company offering that very product at a quarter of the price for which it sold retail. Ah, that’s for me.

On February 4, I ordered the piece on line and was assured that I would receive an email confirmation shortly. No confirmation. I had given them my credit card number and wanted assurance that the order was being processed and that the company was what it claimed to be. So, I thought communicating with them might be appropriate. No phone number. There was an email system in place for questions, so I wrote them a note requesting the status of the order. It was answered, assuring me that everything was on track….. “don’t worry” was their advice. Do I look like Alfred E. Newman….I don’t think so. I wasn’t comforted by the ticket system that said the order was processed on the 14th and mailed on the 12th. “Don’t worry” they said. They told me delivery would take 4 weeks and the product was shipped by standard air…..where to these people live…..the Ukraine?

To make a long story less long, the disk arrived on March 11. It was shipped in a bubble wrap envelope from the Ukraine.

The directions said don’t register this program because it was supposed to be bundled with a computer sale. I installed the program, and it won’t allow me to scan; no tech. support without registration. My next step is to email these people again to see if they can help, but my hopes are not high.

As C. Brown would say, “Aaarrrggghhh”. Now there’s a boy who has obviously made purchases on the internet.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good Grief!
"If it seems too good to be true.... It probably is..."
Good luck!