Tuesday, March 29, 2005

Spring....When An Old Man's Fancy Turns To...Fishing

Time marches (slogs) on. Easter is behind us; the eggs (and hands) were dyed, and the bunny's hiding places found (I hope). As predicted, there was too much frost on the cotton tail to have an outdoor egg hunt, but fun was had by all. Something I did during the weekend rendered me a semi-invalid, but that's a story for another time. By 2 p.m. on Sunday, everyone had packed their goodies and headed for home. Dog and I were left to return to our hermit ways.

There is bright news on the horizon. The temperature today made it into the upper 60's under sunny skies. I went out for a while to clean up what I hope will be a garden this year, but my back doth protest too much and forced me to retire earlier than I would have liked. I therefore fired up the old computer and purchased a fishing license for 2005. Ah....hope springs eternal.

Dog and I drove down to the Lake to check its condition. No ice in the river or the Lake and the South Pier is clear.....the North Pier still has a few tons of ice on it, but my guess is it should be gone by the end of the week (I become optomistic on sunny days).

If all goes well, you will soon be able to read my rants about how lousy the fishing is and how I rue the day I ever bought a fishing license.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Be it far from me to want to cloud your optomism, but a dose of reality is needed here.

I too am ready for the fishing season: $42.00 bought the boat registration. $130.00 bought boat insurance. $22.00 will fill the boat's gas tank and another $30.00 will fill the truck tank to haul said boat. $28.00 bought me a license, $7.00 will cover the launch fee. Replacing the lures lost last season should be covered by a $50.00 bill. Repair of the trolling motor that quit on the last fishing trip last Fall should be only a couple hundred $$ ???

Hope springs eternal while my wallet hemorages.

Let's go fishin ! R

Anonymous said...

I too am optomistic about spring springing. Also spent the last couple of days outside blowing last years flattened leaves and all winters dog droppings (why I have two large dogs is beyond me). I too was hit with the back aches of spring. Had to spend some time flat on the floor. This was apparently an invitation for the two large dogs to rub their noses all over my face. Although the flatness was good for my back, relaxing it was not.
I'm also looking forward to the green things popping up and actully planted five new plants. Lets hope they do well. The two Asprira were $3.98 each and the five clamatis were $13.98. It seems that our wallets are being emptied every where we go. Bring on the fun of summer!
Andi