Friday, March 11, 2005

It's Not Nice To Fool Mother Nature

This week I had TiVo installed on my DirectTV system. I haven't figured out all of it's capabilities yet, but I'm fascinated by the fact that it allows us to replay, or play in slow motion, live TV. I can, in a vague way, understand how this is done, but it occurred to me that if Einstein were to see this for the first time, it may have made him think twice about his theory of relativity and the whole space time continuum thing. Part of the definition of this theory apparently involves the concept of time....."As three-dimensional beings, we perceive time only as a result of memory. We remember what was as a variable interval from what is now. If we had zero memory, we could not detect time - we would exist only for the moment." This makes sense to me. TiVo contorts the "variable" to the extent that the concept of time becomes blurred. Farewell to the days when if you missed the name of the actor at the beginning of the program his name was gone forever in the vastness of the time continuum. If we could only fast forward to the end of a live program .... now that would be something to install on your home entertainment center.

No comments: