Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Day Eleven - Winner to Webster, Iowa

Not much to report today, and no pictures. The weather for this non-report was perfect.

We crossed the Missouri River 3 times today. First at Fort Randall Dam in South Dakota, then at Yorkton, South Dakota into Nebraska and again at Sioux City Iowa. Most of the travel was straight and flat (some rolling). The crops did switch from hay to corn. In Iowa we saw some serious damage done to the corn crop due to hail. The stalks were stripped of both leaves and ears.

Along the way, my ear started to give me grief. It felt plugged. It was not painful at all but very irritating. Someplace in Iowa the GPS bit the dirt. I thought it might have been a fuse to the accessories, but it doesn't work off the bike either so I doubt that's the problem. I'll deal with that when we get home.

We ended up near the center of Iowa in Webster. We saw that the local Kiwanians was having a BBQ dinner at the local Middle School so we went. Once again we were the youngsters of the group. Charlie caused quite a stir when he mixed his iced tea with his lemon aide but I'm sure the old lady behind the counter has completely recovered and is probably resting comfortably by now.

Tomorrow, east again. The weather will determine the route, but it's supposed to rain so it may be a bee line to Kim's place.

By for now.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Howard,

I have been really enjoying your travel log and attached photographs. Wish I could have seen more; you know me!

Sounds like some of the riding was pretty scary, but you evidently really enjoy those switchbacks. The lack of guard rails is the scariest thing I ever saw when I was in AZ on switchbacks.

Kim said your "girl" has been good; she and Bonnie brought her here for lunch the day they left. Isn't she a good daughter!

Well, just wanted to say I appreciate being able to follow your trip and enjoy it vicariously.

K