Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Day 5 - Still in Banff







This is probably not the best time to write. I tried to use the cell phone and couldn't. I've just spent an hour trying to work through one of those ridiculous phone company systems trying to get an answer and couldn't. At the moment I'm frustrated and not in the mood to write. Enough of my whining... I'll tell you about our day.

This morning Charlie and I struck out for Lake Louise and Lake Peyto. On the suggestion of the motel clerk we headed north on A1. The road was twisty and in great shape. The scenery spectacular. The weather ran from good to questionable depending on the moment.

Soon after getting on A1, traffic (which was light) stopped while a wolf worked its way across a mountain side maybe 75 meters off the road. We didn't stop to take a picture but is was interesting to see the critter. For those of you insisting on a picture, wait until I return to MI and I'll snap a shot of a coyote for you.

A short way further on we stopped to watch four bull elk along the side of the road. I did take a few pics of them and may include one here.

The weather was cool; running about about 50F for the entire ride. Also we hit some light rain periodically along the way. We were pretty well dressed for both so it didn't bother us too much. As a side note; when you enter a roadway there are often Texas Gates (Cow Gates) which are grids across the road in an effort to discourage critters (elk and moose) from entering the roadway. The grids are metal and when wet are pretty darn slick. When I went over one yesterday, the back end started to come around and gave me quite a thrill. All considered it was a pleasant ride.

At Lake Louise we stopped and checked out the lake, the glacier and the Fairmont hotel... all very impressive. While there a bunch of kids on a tour went swimming. Now, this is a fairly small lake entirely filled with glacial melt and I doubt the temperature could have been much above 40F. Ah, to be young again.

At Lake Peyto, we hiked up a mountain for about 20 minutes to check out the glacier and lake. It was beautiful, but the grade and the altitude caused this old, fat, out of shape low-lander to suck wind a time or two.

After returning to Banff we rode the gondola up the mountain to get some pretty good views of the town and the surrounding area from about 7000 feet.

Back to town and a rib dinner at Tony Roma's then to the motel where I write this.

Tomorrow we'll head out. We don't know the route yet in that it is supposed to be cold and rainy and we may try to pick a path to avoid the worst of the weather. I'll let you know how it went tomorrow if the net is available.

1 comment:

Kimberly said...

Sounds like an excellent day. I tried to call you, but your phone is giving a busy signal. (Odd for a cell phone.) So, I think it's them company not the user...

Call me collect when you get a chance and I'll contact your service for you.