Friday, August 22, 2008

The Conclusion

After returning from a field trip students are expected to explain to their teacher what they learned from the experience (Amanda, take note). As a former teacher this concept is etched in my psyche and so I will attempt to share what it is that I learned from our little foray into the world of 2 wheel touring (at least from this geezer’s perspective). Incidentally, for those of you keeping score, we logged about 3400 miles on the bikes traveling through 9 states (MI, NY, VT, NH, ME, MA, PA, OH and IN) and 3 Canadian provinces (Ontario, New Brunswick and Prince Edward Island).

First a few comments regarding my fellow travelers. I hope I offend no one.

Before we even began this adventure, Charlie made it clear that he travels on his stomach. I had no idea the extent to which he meant this. Not a single eatery went unnoticed and commented upon. It mattered not if it was a pizza joint (especially a pizza joint), or a fine French restaurant. Further, no food was left as the chef intended. Charlie always managed to add his touch to the entrĂ©e by dousing it with a variety of condiments and spices. I’m rather certain Charlie is a chef at heart.

The other observation regarding the big guy is that he is addicted to his cell phone. There were several locations (particularly in the Maritime Provinces) where he couldn’t get service. On these occasions, a wild eyed expression crept over his countenance and more than once he began to shake uncontrollably. Upon reaching a working service area, he would make up for his time without the phone, and call everyone in the phone’s memory, some more than once.

Bill is a very conservative rider (and driver he tells me), and goes to great lengths to avoid breaking the law. One occasion comes to mind in particular when yours truly opted to pass a slow moving vehicle. While it’s true, there was a double solid line involved, the road was straight and clear with no oncoming traffic. After getting around the lady, as was my custom, I looked in the mirror to see if we were together; there was Charlie, but no Bill. I was later reminded of the double line, and suffered enormous guilt over my transgression. I suspect Bill’s regard for the lining of roads comes from the fact that his son is an engineer who builds roads and for whom Bill has a great love and respect.

Bill is a world traveler. This in itself is not unusual today, however, he apparently has traveled some of the more obscure backroads and alleyways in this great land too. I present to you just one example. While seeking shelter from one of the downpours during our first day out, we strayed from the expressway and wandered around until we came to a "coffee" shop occupied and apparently owned by what appeared to be Chinese people. I asked directions (to no avail I might add) and returned to the bikes. It was at this point that Bill casually mentioned that the very parking lot we occupied was one of his dog's favorite places to pee. Please! Here we were in East B.F., Egypt and it turns out to be his dog's toilet. The whole incident kind of took the edge off the sense that we were exploring new territory. The depression has since worn off, but for a while, it weighed heavily.

The only other comment regarding Bill is actually a statement regarding his sainted wife. Any woman remaining married to a man who snores with his gusto must be a saint. Fortunately we were all so exhausted after a day on the road we fell asleep quickly, but under normal circumstances it would have been a trial.

Here are a few other things I learned:
1. I am not fond of Canucks.
2. Canucks are not fond of people from the United States (except at the cash register).
3. If you want it to rain, invite me to go riding.
4. Geezers on motorcycles are not questioned at border crossings.
5. Breakfast on the road is the best meal of the day.
6. I don’t enjoy highway and toll road travel on a bike but will tolerate it when necessary.
7. Our country is incredibly beautiful (even in the rain).
8. I like mountains in the summer.
9. You can’t prove to me that Champ (the monster of Lake Champlain) exists (or not).
10. Prince Edward Island is “the Gentle Island” with the exception of the proprietor of the St. Nicholas Motel.
11. People you meet while traveling on motorcycles are helpful, funny, curious and good natured.
12. America smells great from the saddle of a motorcycle.
13. This is a great country.

Well that’s a baker's dozen and likely more than you cared about. Thanks for reading this to its conclusion. Here’s were I say, “adieu”.

1 comment:

Kimberly said...

I loved reading about your PEI trip the first time and while going through your blogs on this trip (8/09-Banff) I enjoyed it again. You're an execllent read, a medoichre alliance of optimism yet an honest observer circumstance. I can appreciate that...

I'm proud you're my pop.
Love you, Kim