Friday, January 06, 2006

A Rose By Any Other Name...

Politics. Just the mention of it makes my head hurt, but our good friend Ned* got me to ruminating about what I wrote, what I should have written and what I should have kept to myself. So, with a bottle of Tylenol at my side and more time on my hands than common sense, I will ramble on at greater length. (I would like to think of these musings as observations, but I’m sure that would get me accused of being partisan.)

First, let me label myself. Incidentally, labeling is considered to be the bane of all that is good and right in America. I enjoy labels because they tend to irritate people who take themselves too seriously. But I digress. I am a (a flourish of trumpets would be appropriate here) Temporal Conservative Pragmatist. Darn… that was a letdown wasn’t it? For those needing an explanation this means that I currently align myself more with the conservatives than the liberals, but recognize that as a practical matter I must temper my beliefs with what can actually be accomplished within the framework of the World Community. “But wait,” I heard someone say, “That’s a Moderate!” Oh.

Having gotten that out the way, and in an effort to demonstrate my lack of partisanship, I will now identify 3 things I like about the Republican leadership and 3 things I like about the Democratic leadership, proving conclusively my Temporal Conservative Pragmatic bent. A drum roll, please.

Republican Leadership:
1. Doesn’t allow polls to govern policy.
2. Takes a strong stance on National Defense.
3. Includes non-partisan leadership in policy execution.

Democratic Leadership:
1.
2.
3.

I need to give a little more thought to this and get back to you soon.

*For those interested (Ned), I did respond to the comments left on the Nov. 15th entry.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Temporal consevative pragmatist? You gots to be jivin'. I've never heard of that party. Are they running any candidates? I think Temporal consevative pragmatist really means embarrassed and ashamed closet REPUBLICAN? I get it! That's where you came up with the title of the article "A Rose By Any Other Name is still a Republican. Cool man. Beside being a great history teacher your comedic abilities were apparent in the proof of your non-partisanship. Yeh. Republicans - 3, Democrats - 0. You convinced me.

I will stop by one day soon, probably next week. Hope you are home. I'll bring you up to date on my life.