Sunday, May 15, 2005

The Truth About Foreigners

The United States, and by extension her citizens, has taken some hits from people around the globe since 9/11. Historically, we have frequently been characterized as the “ugly American”. I suppose this is human nature. People are quick to find fault with those who are perceived to have more money or power than they do. Even in this little tourist town, people from Chicago or Indiana who visit us are often referred to as “FIPs” (I’ll leave its meaning to your imagination). In both cases these critics have little problem taking the “foreign” money that finds its way into their coffers.

These observations are a lame excuse for me to queue up and throw in my 2¢ as it applies to the attitudes of people from different countries and cultures.

I have never had the opportunity to be an “ugly American” (‘though I am American and ugly). I have traveled across south eastern Canada and have been to Tijuana; but on both occasions I tried to behave myself and met few “natives”. Most of my contact with “foreigners” has come from playing backgammon with them on-line. Over the months I have had the opportunity to play with people from: Mexico, Sweden, Turkey, South Africa, France, Cyprus, England, Scotland (a man living in Japan), Australia, Austria, Spain and New Jersey. There were probably a few other countries, but I don’t recall at the moment. After gaming and chatting with these people I feel imminently qualified to comment of the kind of people they are. So here goes: they are rude, vulgar, surly, poor losers and winners, impolite, pessimistic, conspiracy theorists, egotistical, narcissistic, courteous, humble, well spoken, compassionate, sympathetic, humorous, optimistic, good natured, trusting and friendly. In fact they are just about like the people I’ve played in Dallas, Seattle, and Muskegon, except their English is better.

No comments: